Adulting 101: If you can't join them, Beat them.

As a Saturn ruled Capricorn lady, it's not often when I get to take my mind off of financial matters, whether I want to our not. Even within all my posts about the kids and the kinky adult things that happen in my life, is always an untone of hushed thoughts about how much everything costs in time, money and invested energy; all of which I'm rather short on these day.


Hell, I've been short on nearly all of those since I moved out of my parents home when I turned 16.

As our family councilor continues to try and tell our oldest son: "If you find yourself out in the world on your own, and you're not prepared for it because you didn't listen to your parents when you were younger, or because your parents didn't do their job to make you take in the life lessons they were responsible for teaching you, you're going to be especially resentful of your upbringing & likely end up trying to run away from - rather than embracing - adulthood."

I've been trying to tell my boy the same thing since he was little, though despite my best efforts to show him how much it sucked that I wasn't able to buy him atv's or take him to disneyland or even fund roadtrips, birthday parties or summer camps, it still has yet to sink into him just how much it really does suck trying to play this adulting game when you didn't start out on the best foot; especially when that foot can't even afford a new shoe every few years.

Though even with all that cathersis persistently filling up the former chapters of the story of my life, I've always been the "glass is refillable" type of person (rather than half full or half empty). I prefer to get up & out of the latest social or financial booby-trap that I've fallen into, and find my own way out of it, often by making a path. An important Adulting 101 lessons I've learned over the years:

If you can't find a way to fit in or work within the systems the rest of society has designed, then create your own and prove that there are always more than one way to skin a sasquatch.

In keeping with that lesson, I decided within the last year, that I am just DONE with trying to fit into the socially acceptable 9 to 5 grind, and am committed to designing an income system that matches my own natural strengths & minimizes or mitigates my weaknesses. I'm not 100 percent sure what this is going to look like in the end, but for now I'm starting out with making a website to send the locals too, so that I can try to get some house cleaning kids out here in this podunk bedroom community we're staying in; with the idea being that if I can get even just a few regular cleaning jobs each week and maybe a few on-call or semi-part time gigs, then I can spend the rest of my income earning time doing what I really love: writing & building my life coaching & business coaching practice. 

And maybe, just maybe, in a few decades or so, I'll have found the way to designed a much more doable system of income earning for all adults coping with adhd or other challenges that keep more and more adults from being able to achieve accolades in this thing we call "adulting".

Comments